Tree climbing triumph for students!

On 29th April, two teams of first and second year Forestry and Arboriculture students became the first Reaseheath College students to enter the annual 3ATC Arborist Tree Challenge held at Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

With this being the first time teams from the College have entered the competition, the students did not know exactly what to expect. The competition tested students’ ability and skills learnt on their course in a range of ways in keeping with industry best practice.

forestry & arb student competition

forestry and arb student competition 1

Competitors were required to climb to given targets located on the outer limbs of 60ft trees, and in the process had to demonstrate branch walking and a log toss to a given target area. Students were judged on three main criteria: time, safety and best practice.

At the end of a long day the first year students achieved second place, narrowly missing out on the top spot by just 3 seconds! The second year students finished fourth with only 4 minutes separating them from the top three teams.

forest and arb student competition - participants

Participants included:

First year students: Ben Worthington, Ben Lacey, James Fogg with Charlie Williams in reserve and acting as ‘motivational shouter.’

Second year students: Leigh Dewey, James Walsh, Sam Watkiss and Christian Roots in reserve and acting as ‘chief photographer’

This is a fantastic result for the students, they were a credit to the College and their course. They all received very positive feedback from the organisers and other colleges involved. Well done to all, we’ll be back next year…!

By Alan Mottram, Forestry and Arboriculture Course Manager

0 replies